Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blog Upkeep Fail

So in a previous post I talked about how this was my third attempt at a blog, but that this time I had a plan! Well I did, and I do. I have two notebooks full of great ideas for blog posts. Somehow none of them seem to make it here. My challenge has always been finding the time to do this.

Well I am no longer going to try to find the time. When you try to find the time to do things, everything else gets in the way. This time I am making the time. "Wow that sounds great," you say. "How are you doing that?" Well, I quit my job. "Huh? You quit your well-paid job with benefits to write a blog for free? Are you NUTS!!?" Well -- yes. In fact, I am. But, no I didn't quit my job to write a blog. I quit my job because I am a writer who was paid to write words for other people and had no creative energy left at the end of the day for my own writing projects. While I did love my job and was passionate about my company's products and services, there was a hole in my heart.

One week ago yesterday I made the leap to be a freelance writer and editor. While terrifying, it has also been exhilarating. Fortunately, I have a network built up and I am not wanting for paid work. Ironically, most of this work is in communications. But that is how folks know me best. I am good at it and I am grateful that I am not hungry and on the street with my husband, two kids and the cat.

My hope is that by making the time for myself and my own writing projects, I can transition away from the communications stuff and begin to earn my income as a "legitimate" writer. I plan to chronicle my efforts because I am just narcissistic enough to believe that you care enough to follow my angst-ridden journey coming into my own as a writer. Check back often. I'm sure it will be a wild ride. I know, I know, I have teased you before and not followed through. Please feel free to work with me as my accountability partner and poke me in the comment section belooooooow.

No comments:

Post a Comment